Thursday, March 8, 2012

A good start!

It's so nice to be here again!!! I've missed this place and all the people here. Again, we have so great team for ringing with all locals and two Dutch ringers, Christian and Fabian.

Three mornings of ringing now and everything looks very promising. Daily ringing numbers are around 100 birds and one can really see that this year birds really are around here in Eilat. That's how it should be here. I've had a couple of new species to see in hand and one Israeli tick also. After ringing hours we haven't done much birding except yesterday when we went to Ofira Park and North Beach. Among 20 Cretzchmar's Buntings we saw a long-staying Cinereous Bunting in Ofira but North Beach didn't offer anything interesting.
Some Steppe Eagles pass daily but not in numbers.


Cyprus Warbler (Sylvia melanothorax).


Moustached Warbler (Acrocephalus melanopogon).
Israeli tick for me finally.



African Rock Martin (Ptyonoprogne fuligula).


Cretzchmar's Bunting (Emberiza caesia).


Barbary Falcon (Falco pelegrinoides).
Fabian took this photo with my camera as it flew
over the station. I'm still learning how to use my
new 400/5.6 lens =)