Saturday, June 26, 2010

Posio Jänisvaara 22.6.2010

I managed to finish my field work last weekend and now I was able to do more Tarsigers and have some vacation. This week I decided to spend in Lapland and northern Norway. On the way up there I visited one fell in Posio which seemed to be suitable for Tarsigers and other old-growth forest species as I looked at the aerial photos. Besides, this remote area was very poorly examined in the atlas of breeding birds so I thought that my visit would also serve this purpose.

There were 2 singing males in Jänisvaara and I managed somehow to catch both of them. Other interesting observations were a nest of Three-toed Woodpecker and two Siberian Jays with one fledgling. After spending the early morning in Jänisvaara I did some work for atlas. There were not so many birds in the area but I managed to get some new information anyway. Maybe the most interesting thing was a nest of Capercaillie with 4 very small chicks. It's very difficult to see a nest of Capercaillie as the chicks leave the nest very soon after hatching. It's too bad that it seems to be impossible to ring any grouse chicks as the legs are very thin compared to adult birds.
Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 2nd cy male.
Summer 2010 male number 11.

The breast and head pattern.


The pattern of GCs.


The pattern of PCs and ALs.


The tail pattern.


The colour of the upper mandible.


Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 2nd cy male.
Summer 2010 male number 12.


The breast and head pattern.


The pattern of GCs.


The pattern of PCs and ALs.


The tail pattern.


The colour of the upper mandible. In this bird the colour
is a bit lighter than in the first Posio bird.

Capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus).