Monday, June 7, 2010

Hyrynsalmi Peuravaara part II 7.6.2010

Today was a time to go back to Peuravaara in Hyrynsalmi. The last time I didn't have time enough to check the whole area so I expected there to be more Tarsigers than 11 I found last time. Today Teppo Helo joined me again and we had a very nice morning in eastern and southern slopes of Peuravaara. The weather was perfect and there were no mosquitos at all. Altogether we had 8 males of which 6 were new and 2 were same that I saw last time. We managed to catch one 2nd cy male. We saw also one male with very shiny ring and it is for sure the same male I ringed there 26.5.2010 because it was singing exactly in the ringing place according to coordinates.

Other interesting birds we saw there were incredible 10 Greenish Warblers, 2 Siberian Jays and 1 Three-toed Woodpecker. After Peuravaara we did some study for the Atlas of Breeding Birds in Finland that is now going on. There are many areas in Hyrynsalmi that we don't have much knowledge about the breeding birds. We didn't see any special breeding birds but we did see a Greater Spotted Eagle that was migrating NW just above us when we made a little stop in Lietejärvi.


Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 2nd cy male.
Summer 2010 male number 8.



The breast and head pattern.


The pattern of GCs.


The pattern of PCs and ALs.


The tail pattern.