Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Birding Värtsilä 9th-12th May

As there was a holiday last week, I was able to spend 4 days in one of my favourite birding places. And this place is Värtsilä in eastern Finland. A place that is always remembered among the finnish birdwatchers from some nice observation in the past, like singing Swinhoe's Snipe.

I like to visit this place annually although I'm now living too far from there. When I lived in Joensuu, I went there more often but now it's only a couple of times in a year. During my trip I saw some minor rarities like 2 Pallid and 2 Montagu's Harriers, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Marsh Sandpiper, a singing Great Snipe and also many Peregrines. So here follows all the shitty documents I managed to get from those uncommon ones.

Peregrine, 2cy.

Pallid Harrier, adult male.

Pallid Harrier, adult female.

Marsh Sandpiper.
Not a rare bird, Long-eared Owl was already on the eggs.

Bewick's Swan.