Thursday, June 6, 2013

Bluetails!!

The whole last week I spent in Kainuu. I had chosen this summer holiday week to be spent only for Bluetails. And I succeeded quite well! Eight mornings were spent in suitable places for Bluetails and I managed to find altogether 92 territories. I colour ringed 51 individuals, of which 44 were adult males, 6 first summer males and 1 adult female. The big number of adults must be because of a poor breeding success last summer. I really hope this summer the breeding success is better or the next summer will be hard for them.

It was nice to be in the forest as there were hardly any mosquitoes yet and the weather was quite good the whole week. Other nice observations included 21 Greenish Warblers, 10 Three-toed Woodpeckers, 2 Grey-headed Woodpeckers, 5 Siberian Jays, 3 Red-breasted Flycatchers and 1 Little Bunting.

Many thanks to Teppo and Annika for company and help during the early morning trips =)

Bluetail, adult male.

Who has the nicest colours?