Last weekend me and Annika went to Pohjois-Karjala to do some birding in my old and so beloved sites. These sites I used to go when I lived in Joensuu. Unfortunately at the moment I have no chances to visit these places too often as they are so far away from Helsinki.
During the weekend we concentrated mainly on nocturnal song birds. And there really were loads of them, as I was hoping. To just to summarize the best, during the weekend we had maybe ~100 Blyth's Reed Warblers, some Marsh Warblers, 8 River Warblers, ~60 Corncrakes, 4 Quails, 12 Short-eared Owls, 2 Jack Snipes and as the best of all 3 singing Booted Warblers.
 |
| Booted Warbler. |
 |
| Booted Warbler. |
 |
| Corncrake. |
 |
| Leimuukämppä is an open wilderness hut just next to Russian border in Ilomantsi. Perfect place for short term staying. |