Today I was ringing in Höylas Bird Observatory in Joensuu, eastern Finland. I made a one-day visit to the ringing station that I used to go when I lived there. It was nice to meet some old friends and also two Marsh Tits that we caught made this trip even better. Marsh Tit is a rather rare species in Finland with only around 40-50 records ever. So this morning we ringed two and I was happy to get a ringing tick. It seems that there is some kind of an influx of Marsh Tits going on in eastern Finland now and it will be interesting to see how many more observations there will be and in which parts of Finland. Another bird was an adult and another 1cy.
Marsh Tit (Parus palustris). Adult.
Marsh Tits (Parus palustris). Notice a slight difference in
back colour. Left adult and right 1cy. You can also see
the difference in the shape of TFs.
Marsh Tits (Parus palustris). There was also a little difference in
the size of throat-patch. Left adult, right 1cy.