Monday, September 13, 2010

Hanko Bird Observatory 29.8-12.9.2010

Last two weeks I have been ringing in Hanko Bird Observatory, Halias. The weather was nice almost all the time and I managed to ring around 700 birds, which is normal number this time of autumn as Tits haven´t arrived yet. Sparrowhawks were not so numerous as they should have been, neither in migration nor from the nets. But still, I ringed 106 Sparrowhaks for which I'm very satisfied. Other ringing highlights were Rustic Bunting, 5 Red-breasted Flycatchers, Cuckoo (ringing tick for me), Goshawk, Nutcrackers and Black Woodpeckers.

I got also one finnish tick as Kari Haataja and Tomi Muukkonen found a 2cy Steppe Eagle in Hanko. All the people from Halias went to twitch this bird as it was only 10 kms from there. We managed to see it well and after two days when the bird decided to leave Hanko we also saw it very distant from the observation point of Halias. Some other nice birds seen in Bird Observatory during two weeks were Pallid Harrier, Red-footed Falcon, Peregrines, Two-barred Crossbills etc.


Rustic Bunting (Emberiza rustica) 1cy. I didn't know that it's so
rare to ring this species in Halias. Afterwards I heard that this
was only 5th Rustic Bunting ever ringed there. But that goes well
with the fact that they migrate so clearly southeast and seldom
come to the southwestern parts of Finland.


Red-breasted Flycatcher (Ficedula parva) 1cy.


Red-breasted Flycatchers (Ficedula parva) 1cy. It was nice
to see so many parvas there as it's not very common
breeding species in Finland.


Nutcrackers (Nuccifraga caryocatactes) 1cy of southern
subspecies caryocatactes.


Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) 1cy female.


Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus) 1cy.


Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita) 1cy. The call of this bird
was interesting 'hi-ly'. Apparently nobody knows where
the birds calling like this are coming from. They appear in Finland
sometimes but still the origin of them remains mystery.
Some people say they might be some southern origin but
at least this one doesn't look very much like ssp collybita.

Black Woodpecker (Dryocopus martius) 1cy male.