Sunday, October 10, 2010

Tankar 29.9-9.10.

Again this autumn I made an annual ringing trip to Tankar Bird Observatory. Tankar is a small island situated in the western coast of Finland near Kokkola city. We didn't see any real rarities but weather was nice and there were lots of birds in the island almost every day. So I was very busy as I was the only ringer of our small birdwatchers' group (thanks to Jürgen and Antti for company!). During 9 days I ringed altogether 1982 birds of 32 species. That was much more that I expected. Especially the number of Tits has never been that high earlier.

I listed the most numerous and also some interesting species I ringed there below.

Great Tit (Parus major) 554
Willow Tit (Parus montanus) 445
Goldcrest (Regulus regulus) 373
Blue Tit (Parus caeruleus) 119
Robin (Erithacus rubecula) 107
Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris) 86
Jack Snipe (Lymnocryptes minimus) 1
Tengmalm´s Owl (Aegolius funereus) 5
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos minor) 1
Three-toed Woodpecker (Picoides tridactylus) 1
Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus) 9
Yellow-browed Warbler (Phylloscopus inornatus) 1
Great Grey Shrike (Lanius excubitor) 2
Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus) 1


Yellow-browed Warbler (Phylloscopus inornatus).


Jack Snipe (Lymnocryptes minimus) 1cy.


Jack Snipe (Lymnocryptes minimus) 1cy.


Three-toed Woodpecker (Picoides tridactylus) 1cy female.


Tengmalm's Owl (Aegolius funereus) 1cy.


Great Grey Shrike (Lanius excubitor) 1cy showing some
characters of subspecies homeyeri. White wing patch is
very large and continues very broad towards the inner
secondaries.

Rump and uppertail coverts are mostly white with only
a little mix of light greyish feathers. R6 is completely white
and R5 has only a small black patch in the inner web of
the feather.

Waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus) 1cy female.