Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sotkamo Losonvaara 25.5.2010

Today morning after my bird countings in Rautavaara I went again to Losonvaara for Tarsigers. This time I checked the highest parts of the fell. During the morning I found 5 singing males and two of them I managed to catch. First one was an adult bird and second one was a 2nd cy bird.


This is how one of the best Tarsiger-places in Finland
(or probably in the whole Europe outside Russia) looks like.
Spruce is the dominant tree species in the slopes.
Also decaying woods in the ground seem to be an important
factor for Tarsigers in their habitat selection.


Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) adult male.
Summer 2010 male number 2.


This bird had deep blue fringes in GCs. Also some of PCs
have bluish fringes. AL 1-2 have more blue than the
individual no 1 of this summer.


The tail pattern.


Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 2nd cy male.
Summer 2010 male number 3.



The breast and head pattern.


The pattern of wing feathers. All GCs, PCs and ALs have
brownish fringes. This bird had a hint of blue in some MaCs.


The tail pattern. Notice the differences in the shape of the tips
and degree of wear compared to the adult bird.

This summer seems to be especially good for Greenish Warblers. Last summer I think I heard only 2 singing males in the whole Losonvaara but today I found 3 singing males more in addition to 5 males yesterday. Today one Greenish Warbler was singing very close to one Tarsiger so I caught it as well.


Greenish Warbler (Phylloscopus trochiloides).