This morning was time to go to Peuravaara in Hyrynsalmi. Peuravaara is a rather large area of old-growth spruce forest with a lot of decaying woods. The place is known to be a good for
Tarsigers. And so it was, again this year. Although I had some little rainfalls and the wind was too strong for hearing the birds that are singing far away, I managed to find 9 males and 2 females. And still over half of the suitable area remained unsearched.
Because of the rain I was not able to try to catch all the males I saw. But when there were stops in the rain I tried and eventually managed to catch 2 males. Both were 2nd cy birds.
After having just caught one male the rain started again andI had to find a shelter and ring the bird under the spruce.
Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 2nd cy male.Summer 2010 male number 4.
The breast and head pattern. This bird had quite a lot of darkmarkings in the breast.
The pattern of GCs.
The pattern of PCs and ALs.
The tail pattern. This bird had moulted one central TF.Or just renewed it because of an accident.
Red-flanked Bluetail (Tarsiger cyanurus) 2nd cy male.
Summer 2010 male number 5.
The breast and head pattern. The markings in the breast are notso dark than in the other bird. That makes the white area in
the throat be more diffuse.
The pattern of GCs.
The pattern of PCs and ALs.
The tail pattern.