Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Red-throated Pipits!

Have been ringing in Espoo Laajalahti every now and then during last weeks. Mostly I have done evening ringing with William and Jarkko and we have caught some nice numbers of Yellow Wagtails and still many Acrocephalus warblers. Last week I tried for Red-throated Pipits as they have been flying over the reeds earlier while we were catching Yellow Wags. It's quite rare to catch RT Pipit in Finland but this time I was lucky to catch 5 young birds.

I have visited Ämmässuo rubbish dump weekly but didn't have luck to find any nice gulls. Below photos of an interesting Herring Gull from last week with very strange bill for 1cy. There are also some other weird things in this gull but probably it just presents some very odd variation of Herring Gull and no hybridisation.

Red-throated Pipit, 1cy.
Red-throated Pipits.
1cy Herring (?) Gull.
1cy Herring (?) Gull.
1cy Herring (?) Gull.