Tuesday, June 7, 2011

In the forests of Kainuu

Last two weekends I spent in Kainuu region. Every early morning I went out to forests to find some Red-flanked Bluetails and tried to catch them. Altogether I saw 31 bluetails of which 5 males I managed to ring. It was a nice timing for being in forest now as there were not too many mosquitoes and the weather was nice every morning. This year seems to be rather poor what comes to bluetails. Many good places held only a handful of singing males as one or two years ago there were tens of them. But anyway, it was again so nice to see these beautiful birds in their beautiful old-growth forest habitats after one long long winter here..
Thanks to Annika and Antti for company during early morning hours =)


Red-flanked Bluetail, adult male.


Red-flanked Bluetail, 2cy male.


I found also one Little Bunting, which I naturally ringed =)


Nice bluetail habitat in Kuirivaara, Puolanka.
This little spot held one pair and one singing male.


Hepoköngäs, one of the very few regular breeding sites of
Grey Wagtail in Finland. Just a poor quality cell phone photo of
a beautiful place.