Way too long from the last post. I spent the whole spring at Eilat ringing station in Israel. Like I've done last five years..This spring I was able to spend almost the whole season there. The spring wasn't very busy but still many nice species were caught. Many thanks to all the people I worked with and had great time there! Yael, Tzadok, Ron, Liri, Matt, Teresa, Bas, Mårten, Christoffer, Jesus, Melchio, Sylvia, Yosef, Yoav, Jonathan you are the best!
After coming back to Finland I soon travelled to Kajaani and started to work with Bluetails. This summer is not good for them. For an unknown reason there are clearly less than even one third of the normal number of Bluetails that arrived this spring. Normal year we have some hundreds of singing males but this summer we just passed 100 territories yesterday and the season is about to end very soon. So I haven't got more than one retrap and ringed 20+ new males. But the one control is very interesting because it is the same bird that I retrapped last summer. He spent two first summers at the same place but this year me and Teppo Helo found it from the other site that is situated 30 kms northwest from the earlier site. So he still remains the one and only Bluetail ever retrapped in European breeding sites. I still go to forests for a couple of mornings so let's see if I still manage to catch some more males.
 |
| Two adult males, caught from the same territory. |
 |
| Quite a dull brownish adult male. |
 |
| The only control. |
 |
| A tristis-type Chiffchaff that was singing at Kajaani. |
 |
| Little Bunting. |
 |
| Red-breasted Flycatcher, 2cy male. |