Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pallid Harrier - Successful breeding in Kainuu!

This year was very good for Pallid Harrier in Finland. There were at least two successful breedings in northern parts of the country (very exceptional, only a couple of confirmed breeding records before this year). I was happy to witness one breeding very close as it took place in the area my parents live. I visited the place when chicks had just left the nest and were hanging there and learning flying. These 4 chicks were ringed with white colour rings that have black codes C1F-C4F. So be careful while watching young Pallid Harriers, these colour rings are very easily seen.

Thanks to Teppo Helo for borrowing me his lens as we were visiting the nest site. I'm very satisfied with these photos I managed to get of the female. It's also interesting to know that this species do breed in its 1st summer.


Pallid Harrier, 2cy female.


Pallid Harrier, 2cy female.


Pallid Harrier, 2cy female.